Stykkisholmur town is often called the capital of Snaefellsnes. The township has put great effort into renovating old landmarks and houses and the ones owned by Danish traders and merchants at the close of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th have been restored to their original form. The Norwegian House has been restored in the same manner and is now the local folk museum.
There are nearly 2700 small islands on the bay north of Stykkisholmur and popular cruises are operated where one can take in unusual rock formations and enjoy a bird life paradise, enjoy scallop tasting, whale watching, and spectacular tidal currents.
In the 1935, the Sisters of the St Francis order arrived and built a catholic church and a convent in Stykkisholmur and later they built a hospital and printing works. In 2009, there were only four Fransiscus sisters were left. St. Mary’s sisters took over the convent that year.
Good hotels are in town, as well as guesthouses and a camping site, and good restaurants offer international cuisine. Lakes and rivers that offer good trout and salmon fishing are in the vicinity.
The distance from Reykjavik is 173 km.